Thursday, October 3, 2013

ARC Review: Bellman & Black by Diane Setterfield

Title: Bellman & Black 

Author: Diane Setterfield

Genre: General Fiction / Ghost Story

Published: 11/5/13

Source: Netgalley

My Rating:

 ***4 Stars***

Book Blurb: 
ONE MOMENT IN TIME CAN HAUNT YOU FOREVER.
Caught up in a moment of boyhood competition, William Bellman recklessly aims his slingshot at a rook resting on a branch, killing the bird instantly. It is a small but cruel act, and is soon forgotten. By the time he is grown, with a wife and children of his own, William seems to have put the whole incident behind him. It was as if he never killed the thing at all. But rooks don’t forget . . .

Years later, when a stranger mysteriously enters William’s life, his fortunes begin to turn—and the terrible and unforeseen consequences of his past indiscretion take root. In a desperate bid to save the only precious thing he has left, he enters into a rather strange bargain, with an even stranger partner. Together, they found a decidedly macabre business.

My Thoughts: 

This was my first time reading this author. Ms. Setterfield also wrote the best selling novel, The Thirteenth Tale. This is going to be short just because I don't really know what to say about this book.
In all honesty, I mistakenly requested it from Netgalley and couldn't reverse the request.  So I figured I'd give it my best shot and submit a short honest review. I will see about getting this added to my (public) library's collection.
Overall, the book was good but kind of depressing.  The story is based in Early England.
This next statement may be a bit spoiler-ish so you'll have to highlight it to read it.
***Spoiler-ish*** It made me think of The Tell Tale Heart and The Picture of Dorian Gray. ***End***


No comments:

Post a Comment